Tuesday, 17 July 2007

Pasta breakthrough

I usually leave the food-type blogging to David - but I had to share this evening's success.

I love pasta, and we've been making pasta for a while - using one of these, but I've wanted to up the ante and make penne and other shaped pasta. David managed to find a pasta extruder and ordered it for me before Christmas - it didn't arrive. It's now managed to find its way to Norway (via Bath and Bristol), and arrived with Liz a few weeks ago. We've had a couple of goes using our usual pasta recipe of 100g pasta flour, 1 egg and a teaspoon of olive oil for each person, but quickly discovered that the pasta dough needed to be a lot drier in order to make the shapes and for them not just flop.

So, while David's been in Helsinki I thought I'd have a play. Yesterday was drier, but not dry enough. And today I had pasta breakthrough - I used 4oz flour (about 115g), 1 egg and a teaspoon of olive oil. The dough was so dry that it barely stuck together - but I gave it a go and.....



And to celebrate I made it into a carbonara - I thought it was only right.

No comments: