Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Ottobre Pintuck tunic

Before I get going with sewing my Vietnamese fabric I need to get my sewing machine serviced.  I bought it when I was at University - so nearly 20 years ago and have never done anything to it apart from clean the lint out.  I think it must have got banged a bit in one of the many moves and also been used a fair amount so at the moment the tension won't behave for anything apart from a straight stitch - this is fine to a point, but the next project I've started on is the JJ blouse from Burda Patterns so will need to do buttonholes.  I also plan to put pintucks on either side of the centre front instead of ruffles and am wanting to use my pintuck foot - although this uses only a straight stitch I can't get it to work - so a service is what we need.

Anyway, before we went away on holiday I finished up a top using a pattern from Ottobre 5/2008 magazine.  I think it's called the pintuck tunic - I say "think" as I have a copy of thte magazine in Finnish, in which it is called Chambray tunika ja pilkullinen viskoositunika.  It was pretty easy to sew up even without being able to understand the instructions.

 I used some IKEA fabric David brought back from a work trip to Sweden a couple of years ago.  It's a pretty big print, but I think having the yoke at the front and back breaks up the pattern a bit.

 The pintucks are quite subtle - I did them without my pintuck foot - but add a bit of feminine detail.
The pattern called for a zip at the back, there didn't seem to be a need so I didn't put one in - but did leave the back yoke to mix the pattern up a bit again.  I didn't make any alterations (apart from omitting the zip).  I finished the inside using mock french seams, which I'm really pleased with. 

No comments: