One place we went in Hanoi was to Chợ Hôm - the fabric market. What a crazy place - I didn't take any photos but found this blog post, which really show's what it's all about. The only thing she doesn't mention are the loos - Frances came with me (along with my sister-in-law) and of course Frances needed to go - they were pretty rudimentary. An open drain with foot places for weeing and then cubicals with actual loos for #2s. Frances did very well coping. Anyway, back to the fabric:
These are what I bought - I got 2m of each as I don't really know what each is going to be used for. Current thoughts:
- Top is silk (not from Chợ Hôm, but from a tourist shop on the way to Halong Bay) which I think might become a top, although it's really nice - so am going to have to think about it a bit.
- Next is what Frances picked out - pink and sparkly! We're thinking of a mermaid tail - probably along the lines of this one.
- The check is probably going to become a shirt for David. I'm thinking of getting this pattern.
- Then a couple of tops from the red cotton and the white broderie anglais.
- The last is some linen with a broderie anglais design which I think might become a simple dress.